Thursday, July 7, 2011

Honesty, Integrity, Self Esteem

I am sure I am one of many who have been watching the Casey Anthony trail from the beginning, and when the jury read the Not Guilty verdict I was sick to my stomach. I have not felt right since then. It occurred to me that I do not know this woman, I did not know her little girl, why is this having such an effect on me? Why is the whole country in an uproar over this case? And how did they manage to find the only 12 people in Florida who think shes innocent? ....I could not imagine being able to breathe if anything ever happened to my baby, let alone going out drinking and getting a tattoo. Even if she decided to pretend it didn't happen, it does not make sense that she lied for years BEFORE Caylee went missing. I do not feel our justice system worked in this case. I do not agree with how defense law works, and most importantly I do not know how I would explain this to my son if he was old enough to understand. You teach your children not to lie. Lying hurts people and causes pain. Casey's lies caused a nation pain, and it caused her daughters death. And next Wednesday she gets to walk free. I do not think 3 years of jail time is enough to make up for the consequences of her lies.

I cannot sit here and blame anyone in particular for Casey's behavior. I do not know why so it would be ignorant of me to speculate. What I do know is that a person should be held responsible for their actions, people need accountability. Working in the classroom I know that better than most. Children especially need to be held accountable. Accountability creates a sense of accomplishment and indirectly self worth. I suppose what I have learned from watching this trial is that how imperative it is to hold your child responsible for their actions; whether it is an unplanned pregnancy or lying about eating a cookie. These actions will translate to how your child reacts to situations and responsibilities when they are an adult. HONESTY, INTEGRITY, and SELF ESTEEM. Those are three of the most important qualities I believe a person can have and I hope and pray that I can instill them in my son.

I know I have to lead by example, so I make this promise to YOU, as Enzo grows and starts to understand what is going on I will be aware and ready to always tell the truth, always act with integrity, and believe in myself in every situation.


On a lighter note.. isnt my son adorable??

No comments:

Post a Comment